Monday, August 2, 2010

Dala Horse Napkins

As a birthday gift I made dala horse napkins to go along with the dala horse cake pan that I bought for my mother-in-law.


Supplies:
  • Cloth napkins
  • Freezer Paper
  • Fabric paint
  • Paint brush


It took a few stops to find freezer paper but finally found it at Rainbow. I bought Tulip brand fabric paint (matte) at Michael's. You can buy a small container for under two dollars. The napkins are from Target.

First, find a shape. You can draw something or find an image online. I found a general outline of a dala horse and added simple details in paint. You can either print on the freezer paper or print on regular paper and trace it onto the freezer paper. Make sure to print or trace onto the dull side. I taped a piece of freezer paper to a regular sheet of paper and it went through my printer just fine.

Now you need to cut out the image. Once it is cut out you can lay it on the material and iron it on. Be sure to iron all of the edges really well or the paint might seep under the freezer paper - you can see this in the first napkin we made. :-\



I let it cool and then started painting. Since I was painting white on red it took three to four layers.



After the paint is dry, peel off the freezer paper.



Once you're all done and the paint is completely dry, lay a cloth over the image and iron over the paint (you can look at your paint bottle for directions on this).


This is my first time doing this and I think it turned out pretty well. There is only one napkin that is mildly embarrassing - the paint seeped under the freezer paper in a few spots. Hopefully my mother-in-law won't mind. :-)

2 comments:

  1. what is the purpose of the freezer paper? and ironing it to the material? I was thinking maybe it is waxy but that would leave marks on the napkin, right? I bet she loved the napkins! - mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, it doesn't leave marks on the napkin. The freezer paper works as a stencil. When you iron it on it sticks to the material so you can paint over it. It works pretty well but it could still be better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...