Friday, May 13, 2011

Bird's Nest Necklace

For Mother's Day we made each of our mom's a bird's nest necklace. I'd never made one before but it looked easy enough and the nice woman at Bead Monkey even printed off the directions that they use when they teach a class of making them.

 
Supplies:
Wire (24 g.)
Beads
Metal loop
Necklace chain


First I made a spiral with the wire. After starting the spiral with a needle-nose pliers I held the spiral between my fingers as I kept wrapping the wire around.


After the spiral was large enough to fit the beads on it, I added the beads to the wire. I bent the wire in a loop so the beads lay flat on the spiral.

Then I just kept wrapping the wire around the beads to form the bird's nest. While doing this I looped the wire through the little metal loop so that I could put the finished nest onto a chain.

I had started off with 24 inches of wire but I think that the directions were meant for thicker wire. I ended up adding another 20 inches or so.

As I wrapped the wire around I kind of pushed the wire together to form the nest.

 
I put the charms on the necklaces and they were all ready to mail to our mom's for Mother's Day!



Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tut! I've wanted to make one of these for a long time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. De nada Mom - I'm glad you like the necklace. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh they are so pretty! I really want one after baby number three gets here! Great job!

    Emily
    Deviantly Domesticated Team
    http://stephaniehillberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! One question though, I made a these for my sisters and sis-in-laws. I can't figure out how to get them to stay straight on the necklace though. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...